John Anderson named his plantation Santa Lucia after seeing a group of Italians in Jacksonville singing the song as they floated down the St. Johns River at night with their torches.

  During the early 1880's, John Anderson planted two orange groves and built a packing house on the plantation property.

He also built several palm and pine log cottages that were rented to guests that wanted more privacy than was available at the Ormond Hotel.

John added several grape arbors to enhance the Plantation walk for guests of the Ormond.

Ormond Beach Historical Society

Copyright (C) 2005 All Rights Reserved

 

Tour by John McSwain

Back to OBHS site
Return to Ormond Historical Society Website