A House Named Bosarve: The First and Last Families
Bosarve was built in 1868 on Riverside Drive in Ormond by Charles and John Andrew Bostrom and named after a town, possibly their hometown, on the Swedish island of Gotland in the Baltic Sea. Their third house, built in 1903 next to the first house, was three stories with wraparound porches, and was used for out-of-town guests. In the 1930s, Mrs. Henry Oltman, the next owner, changed the name to Villa Sans Souci, meaning “carefree” in French, and the house became a hotel. In 1946, Gerald Althouse and Dorothy O. Smith from Danbury, Connecticut purchased the hotel. The extended Smith family lived in the house from the 1950s until the house was demolished in 1966.
Deltiology: the study and collection of postcards. An exhibition from the collection of Ned & Brenda Kraft
This collection consists of 66 postcards dating from 1904 to the 1960s. They represent many areas of Ormond Beach to include: The Casements, Ellinor Village, Ormond Hotel and the Tomoka River reflecting the natural beauty of our waterways. Postcards were produced in mass and made widely available for the promotion of tourism, and are often the only record of a location or a building in a area. This can become a field of study as an area changes and the postcard leaves a trace of an earlier time.